In our church, the children attend Primary, and there are different classes based on a childs age. I was asked to make chair covers to place on the chairs so the children will know where to sit. Currently, they are using signs with pictures on them. Sewing the actual chair covers was going to be easy. What I was more concerned about was how I was going to differentiate between the different classes. I knew I wanted to embroider on the chair covers, but there isn't much out there in terms of LDS machine embroidery, so I knew I had to make my own design.
This is the sign that was being used for the children who are 3 years old going on 4. I took the picture and scanned it into my computer.
Then I opened it in Photoshop and redrew it using the the original as my guide.
After that, I uploaded the picture into my embroidery design software and turned it into an embroidery applique design and added some text.
Then I stitched it out. This was my practice stitchout. I actually made a few minor changes to it, which is why I stitched it out on a scrap fabric first. But overall, I'm thrilled with the result. Now I just have to stitch the design out on the chair cover I made. I'll post a picture of the designs on the chaircovers when I'm all done. Nearly one down, only 4 more to go.